Taxi Driver in Cuba

Hilz_131103_1556

I woke up this taxi driver to take his picture. Am I that terrible photographer who has no respect of his subject? Not at all. From across the street I saw the driver sitting in his back seat. I couldn’t see him clearly within┬áthe shaded interior and as I approached I said hello and asked if I could take his photo. It was when I spoke that I saw his head straighten up a little and his eyes open. Well too late now, I already disturbed his cat nap. He gave a little nod indicating I could take his photo. Five photos and twenty seconds later I was done and on my way.

This image is by far my favorite of the set. In all of them I used the window and the frame of the car as framing elements. This one is the best combo of utilizing the framing while minimizing the brightly lit background. With the interior in heavy shade, any sunlit areas had the potential to be significant distractions. It was interesting to look back at the sequence and notice things that I didn’t catch when taking the photos. In the first couple it looked like the driver was giving me a subtle thumbs up, then I caught one where he was dozing off again (clearly I wasn’t of much interest to him).

2014-02-15_00-34-25

Here’s a tighter crop. Getting rid of the handle makes the door less important which focuses more attention on┬áthe frame within a frame design. Do you have a preference between the two?

Hilz_131103_1556 - Version 2

9 Comments

1. Georgette Grossman February 15, 2014 at 8:30 am #

I like the last image… focuses on the driver alone. Detail in his face look a bit dark on my monitor, though.

• Corey Hilz February 17, 2014 at 11:24 pm #

Could just be a variation in the way a monitor is displaying things, not sure. While I won’t say his face is brightly lit, I’m seeing enough detail while maintaining the sense of the subject being in the shade of the car.

2. lana macko February 15, 2014 at 10:15 am #

This is definitely my favorite. I especially like his hand placement. It’s my dream to go to Cuba and take photos.

• Corey Hilz February 17, 2014 at 11:25 pm #

Thanks Lana, I’m planning a photo tour to Cuba in early 2015 – stay tuned for details!

3. Mike Brown February 15, 2014 at 2:19 pm #

Without the handle looks great. Nice capture!

4. Deb Snelson February 15, 2014 at 2:22 pm #

Hey Corey, I prefer the last image without the door handle. Although it adds the “antique auto” aspect, and perhaps hints that this was taken in Cuba, I think the handle competes with the subject, the taxi driver.

5. John Barclay February 15, 2014 at 3:40 pm #

Without the handle Corey. :)

6. Marge Shaffer February 15, 2014 at 10:15 pm #

The last shot of course…. I like the depth, first the door, then the car frame, then the driver & lastly the inside of the car. The rust and colors are great.

7. Corey Hilz February 17, 2014 at 11:21 pm #

Thanks everyone for the comments. Looks like we have a consensus for the cropped version! :)